Real Estate Law Attorney Houston TX
Real estate law comprises different laws that regulate land and the improvements to land, such as fences, buildings, walls, and other types of structures that are fixed in location. Real estate law is governed by federal and state statutes and common law.
Real estate law covers a wide range of related issues surrounding rights and interests in real estate purchases and sales, transfers of real estate, legal aspects of rental property, landlords and tenants’ issues, and much more.
Real estate law uses certain terms, and they include:
- Title: The person who owns the land
- Mortgage: A loan covering the cost of a house.
- Foreclosure: The process by which the lender takes over the ownership of a home if the owner defaults on paying back the mortgage.
- Closing: The final meeting at which ownership of real estate is transferred officially.
- Real Estate Agent: A licensed professional that conducts and negotiates real estate transactions.
- Escrow: Money or property in the safekeeping of a disinterested third party.
- Mortgage Modification: The process of contacting mortgage account representatives to negotiate a “modification” of terms that could change the terms of the mortgage promissory note that could result in a lower interest rate, lower mortgage payments, and the cure of any defaulted mortgage payments.